Info for Landlords
- Any landlord who lets residential accommodation which includes flats, apartments, houses, holiday homes, boats and caravans as a business activity is required by law to ensure the electrical appliances they supply as part of the tenancy are safe.
- As a Landlord, you have a duty to prevent harm to your tenants from electrical appliances that you supply. Portable Appliance Testing is widely regarded as being the best way of complying with this obligation.
- Without a programme of planned appliance testing and maintenance, you could be legally liable for damages resulting from your untested appliances.
- The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 mandatory since 1st January 1997, state that:- "all electrical appliances supplied with let accommodation must be safe"
- This applies to both new and second-hand appliances and covers all electrical items supplied for the intended use of the tenant.
- The only sure method of ensuring that these appliances are safe is to have them tested by a trained competent person using the appropriate portable appliance testing equipment.
- A useful website link for rental property knowledge which includes information on electrical safety is www.landlordzone.co.uk
☎ 01663 719235 or 07925372276